Thursday 13 May 2010

Silver Lemon Anyone?


Silver Lemon, originally uploaded by Glittering Prize - Trudi.

As I've been lampworking for a little over 3 years now, I have amassed lots of frit (small bits of glass - used to decorate beads or for different effects). Much of this is in taster size bags (mainly from BeadySam) - and I realised that I have many that I haven't tried yet (Shame on me I know)

So I had a little rummage and I found a "silver rich" one called Silver Lemon - not having seen a silver lemon, I was intrigued to find out just what this frit would do. Lampworking can be a real journey of discovery, as you just never know how things will end up. The frit you can see is on the right - looks kinda dark a not too interesting doesn't it! So I attached some to the end of a hot clear rod and pulled a stringer (long thin piece of glass), pit aside and made myself a clear base, then using the stringer I wrapped it round the bead, and then encased this with clear.

Now even though I have made the bead - I still don't know how it's going to end up - when beads are hote, they look very different - and when you're trying something new, it can go either way.

Well the kiln faries were good to me, as you can see with the beads in the picture. Now while these are realtively simple beads, the shimmer that the silver lemon gives off is amazing. When I look at the beads it's bright lime yellow, and parts of it has streaks of green running through and in general it's very reflective.

Next time I use this glass I'll try something else with it - who knows where that will lead me. As for these pretties, I'm undecided what to do with them yet .... but I'll let you know!

Trudi x

2 comments:

  1. I love these beads, the colour is so fresh ... looks like Spring in a bead!!
    Thanks for your lovely comment.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete